It's the best medical news in ages. Studies in two prestigious scientific journals say dark chocolate -- but not white chocolate or milk chocolate -- is good for you.
Dark Chocolate Lowers Blood Pressure Dark chocolate -- not white chocolate -- lowers high blood pressure, say Dirk Taubert, MD, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Cologne, Germany. Their report appears in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.
But that's no license to go on a chocolate binge. Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure -- if you've reached a certain age and have mild high blood pressure, say the researchers. But you have to balance the extra calories by eating less of other things.
Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate Dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk -- is a potent antioxidant, report Mauro Serafini, PhD, of Italy's National Institute for Food and Nature. Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments. Research in Rome, and colleagues. Their report appears in the Aug. 28 issue of:
"Our findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate ... and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate."
Translation: Say "Dark, please," when ordering at the chocolate counter. Don't even think of washing it down with milk. And if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble.
- While a little dark chocolate is good for you, a lot is not healthy. You need variation in your diet to get all the nutrients your body requires.
- If you are allergic to chocolate, then do not eat it.
- Chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine. (This stimulant is not present in Xocai chocolate products.) The physical onset of this stimulant is much slower than caffeine, so while chocolate may not keep you from falling asleep, your sleep may be disturbed in the middle of the night. Theobromine can easily cause epileptic seizures and potential death in dogs.
- Since chocolate is toxic to dogs, birds, and other animals, never feed chocolate to an animal.
- If you accidentally drop the chocolate and stand on it, or the chocolate is left outside for a long time, do not eat the chocolate. It is probably of a lower quality.
p/s: memang aku da bosan tahap gaban dan tak dek kejo nak buat!!!